Pick Up Six

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Chicken Pox, Leaves, & Christmas Presents

Monday morning I found out that my niece Emilee(7) had chicken pox, so I dropped everything and took Marianne(8 mos) to Barry's sister Rebecca Jensen's house. Marianne is our only child who has not had chicken pox and I didn't want to miss this opportunity to get her exposed. The Jensen's live about an hour and a half away, so leaving the children at home with Maddy in charge (Barry was helping a friend sand drywall) we basically cancelled school and the kids had fun having a pajama day. They were still overcoming the effects of too much sugar on Halloween, so I'm not sure it would not have been a very successful school day anyway.  Emilee was such a good sport and sharing her germs: licking spoons, sucking on Marianne's pacifier, holding her. I should have really gotten my money's worth and had Emilee change Marianne's diaper!

We spent time this week gathering fall leaves from our friends who live in town and have big beautiful trees (mostly maples).  We do this to compost into dirt for our garden and yard.  They appreciate it as well, as they have no place to put the leaves once they bag them.  Over the past two weeks we have collected 20 garbage bags full of leaves, and we're picking up 9 more tomorrow.  The kids enjoy playing in the leaves (of course).
        

Saturday morning Barry took everyone except Makayla and Marianne to help a lady move to Spokane.  They were gone all morning.  Makayla(5 1/2) spent most of the time at the kitchen table beading necklaces and bracelets for her siblings (yes she made a necklace for Ben - - a blue one) and wrapped them for Christmas presents. We are encouraging all of our children to make homemade presents for each other this year. It will mean so much more for them.

Have a great week!


1 comment:

  1. Did the baby end up getting the chicken pox? I remember people used to always have chicken pox parties..

    ReplyDelete